10/01/2016

Hello 2016! - New Year's resolutions anyone?

And bye - bye to you, 2015! It was ok to let you go, you know. You were a rocky year. A year with some gloomy downs I never thought I'd come out of, but also with some amazing ups that brought hope, love and brightness into my life. Life at it's worst and life at it's best, that was you. But the heavy storms did pass, and here I am, a stronger person, because of you. And I feel grateful. I got to live you and I got to learn from you. Now I have left you behind me. I bid you farewell, while taking with me whatever you taught me, good and bad.

And then, like a red balloon, I sent you away, up towards the blue sky. I waved farewell to you and I welcomed 2016.
A new year. A fresh start. And what about those New Year's resolutions? I was sitting giggling, while reading some old blogs of mine -  it was a lifetime between then and now. A few years back, when I was living in India, I had made a quite long but interesting list of resolutions for myself:   

1. Do good for others. Based on the work I did at an NGO I had as a resolution to continue to volunteer. I experienced how, with just a little support, peoples lives changed for the better. And my own life changed for the better by being a part of it.

2. A body in balance. A resolution was to continue to practice yoga and meditation, as well as stay fit in every way. I had learned better how mind and body are connected. India taught me well, but I am still a humble learner....

3. Be curious, explore and learn new things. A resolution was to improve my photography skills, maybe give Hindi a second chance (!), travel to places I had never been to and strive to always keep my mind curious, open and positive....

4. Nurture my cultural side. A resolution was to do more of reading, writing, taking pictures.... art, music, theatre.....

5. Be in the moment. My final resolution was to always be aware to Live Here And Now, enjoy the little things. Whether it is reading a letter from a dear childhood friend, making pancakes on a Tuesday, see the flowers blossom, give or receive a smile or to feel the breeze in my hair...

WELL, it was amusing to read that list, and I realise that I have taken lots of that with me, and made it a part of my life. This year, I did not made any resolutions for 2016. But I made myself some promises. Some thoughts, based on my experiences, which I know adds a positive aspect to my every day life:

1To Be in the moment. Yes. Then and now. This moment is what we have. It will never come back. Embrace it. Let the past go and let the future be. Let go of whatever or whoever you can not change, and accept that. Here and now. Life. Do not miss it. 

2. To be grateful. Gratitude. The source. No matter how dark and gloomy life seems, there is always something to feel grateful for. This year I will continue with my daily routine: to reflect on what I am grateful for today. Every day. It gives me strength, happiness, calmness and a peaceful mind.
  

3. To be responsible. For my own life. For my own happiness. I can not control what other people say about me, but I can choose if I will allow it to affect me. Do not blame others. Take responsibility. It is empowering and it makes you brave too. Brave to explore life. To dare to believe again. Believe in yourself, in others, in life, in love. Believe that it can be possible. That it can happen. That you can do it. So Be Brave. If something feels right, go for it. Life is too short for regrets. 

If you, like me, would like to make gratitude and positiveness a part of your new year, an idea is to make a jar like this:  


I wish you a happy new year, and thanks for reading! Did you, by the way, make any New Year's resolutions this year? Please share:-) 

25 comments:

  1. Wow! Your promises are something that I would agree too as well. I did not make any resolutions thus year again but I do want to be grateful for what I have and focus on my health. Living each day as it comes is very important. It lets you live without any worries or expectations.
    For your community work, the pictures look like you are in India. Are you? :)and Hindi would be wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words and for sharing. yes, it was back when I lived in India:-) Hugs

      Delete
  2. I loved the idea of jar and I think as we grow older and start facing so many ups and downs, this seems to be a great idea to not to lose hope and be positive :) wish you have a fulfilling year :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same to you dear friend! And thanks for visiting:-)

      Delete
  3. I love 'To be in the moment'... Best wishes Eli!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eli, I am so inspired by your work and goals. The Happiness Jar is a great idea. We have one at home, and it is truly satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much:-) Sure is a great idea!

      Delete
  5. Be in the moment. That's what I want to do. Good luck, Eli. I wish you all happiness this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much sweetie:-) And to you too. Sending hugs:-)

      Delete
  6. Sound like some good intentions for 2016 Eli. I was glad to see the back of 2015 too. Hope you have a more mindful year full of gratitude and contentment. Happy 2016!

    ReplyDelete
  7. All the best for living up to your resolutions! I have some similar aspirations for myself, lets see how much effort I can put in to work toward those. Love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks alot dear Beloo:-) All the best to you too:-)

      Delete
  8. I like this jar idea. Will certainly see how I can incorporate this in my life.
    Wishing you a wonderful 2016, Eli.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dearest Eli,
    Yes, like you I love to let 2015 go... let it drift off and holding on to the sweet memories.
    Today would have been my eldest sister's birthday, her very first birthday that she has Mom with her in heaven... Kind of heavy thoughts and of course, mid winter helps too. I thought my flu was over but my bronchitis is lingering and even got worse last night. I'm so scared for taking again anti biotics as all meds attack my kidneys and with chronic kidney disease I want to stretch life as far as I can. Not going the same route of dialysis like Mom did... not yet!
    Struggling also to get all my photo files and everything organized onto my new Mac. Making sure that I copied everything from the different hard drives. That is a lot of work and I hate doing it. Wish I would be beyond that. Also further scanning photos from my albums to make everything digital. I long for a regular life where I can just clean, do laundry, shop and cook and look forward to a vacation in-between! But like you know, those dark clouds do pass and life will move on.
    We got a new Miele dishwasher and it is defect... Poor husband, he took it out three times and that at his age. They now send us a new one. But the point is that in two weeks today I have to prepare a dinner for some 15 people here at home. And of course having the home looking neat as well. How are we going to manage all that? Somehow, I know it will all come together... last minute thing!
    Big hug,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, that is a lot my friend!! But as we know, the dark clouds will go away... eventually... Maybe some of those people can help you prepare that dinner? Thats alot to handle.. Hope your new dishwasher will stay rock solid! More than anything I wish for you a smashing 2016 and hope it will bring you good health, and lots of love, positivity and happy moments. Sending you warm hugs back dear Mariette. Grateful you are in my life:-)

      Delete
  10. wow! Eli :) so inspiring to read your post.... bidding goodbye to 2015 and welcoming 2016 with such freshness and renewed zeal.. I like it. I have not really made any "resolutions" as such.. but have learnt to focus on being healthy and happy, of course some of the things I have integrated as a way of life - practising yoga daily, eating healthy food with gratitude, drinking plenty of water, being open for new learnings as it happens in my work place and the place where I volunteer, spend more time with my daughter, now she is class X very crucial for her and the last year in school. Look forward for some travel and improve my blog :) and remain grateful. Wishing you the very best Eli and hope and pray that this year be bright and wonderful for you and your family !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a great plan for 2016 too my friend- you have already integrated so many good things in your every day life. You know you inspire me too- your blog is a good place to be. I wish you and your family all the best for this year. Stay blessed dear:-)

      Delete
  11. Hey Eli! Love the idea of the jar in accumulating goodness and awesomeness. A fab post and my dear friend, I believe it's all a matter of attitude and vibes. Last year was bad but decided to push for better things this way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's great my friend! Go for it- wishing you a great year ahead with success! All good vibes with you Vishal! Thanks for visiting:-)

      Delete
  12. Excellent promises, all and I love the jar idea! ☺My only (and recurring) yearly resolution is to lose the weight gained over the holidays (and more). Some years are more successful than others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debbie:-) And best of luck with your resolution:-) :-)

      Delete

I love comments. Thank you for taking your time to leave one.