23/02/2016

Hummus on a Golden plate

Today, I time travelled. Back, to the past. I was maybe 5 again. It was Christmas time and we were at my grandparents house in the village. Snow was pouring down. Outside the large window the scenery was all white. I was sitting in front of the open fire place looking at the flames, feeling my cheeks getting all warm and red. Soft Christmas music was playing and I heard the rest of the family talking and laughing as they were all preparing the food and putting up the last decorations. And then it was time to set the Christmas dinner table. Time for crystal glasses and shining silver spoons, forks and knives. I smiled and ran towards the table. Just in time. Just in time to see them being carried carefully out of the corner cupboard. So delicate, so elegant. The golden plates. The gorgeous cream white porcelain plates with a touch of gold around the edges.

The golden plates. I can only remember us eating of them at Christmas time. The rest of the year they lived in that cupboard in the corner. Sometimes during summer vacation I could sneak up, open the cupboard door and just look at them, admire them. And slowly let my fingers stroke them.

Today those golden plates live in the cupboard in my living room. Today I was sitting on the floor, holding them carefully in my hands. And they took me back. To long noisy funny Christmas dinners. To happy times, to celebrations. Always celebrations, festive days.

I got up from the floor. Still with the plates in my hands. I had decided. Today we eat from the golden plates. On a plain normal Tuesday. Call me crazy. Yes, we had hummus, salad and home made bread on my grandmother's precious golden plates. And oh, did it taste delicious!

I do think that my grandparents would have liked that. I lit a candle and I thought of them. And I celebrated: Good memories, Today. This moment. Life.



 PS: The hummus turned out yum by the way - maybe I'll share that recipe:-)






31 comments:

  1. A plate, the aroma of a food preparation, an old photo bring back beautiful memories, don't they? I enjoyed reading your post:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, do share the recipe. I think it is beautiful that you celebrated pretty memories on that plate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those plates (and the tray) and so agree with your philosophy. We don't save the good crockery in our house for guests only! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely golden plates. I liked your decision to use it instead of leaving it in the cupboard. Make each meal precious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a delightful idea to make this day this moment special. Those plates are lovely and I'll wait for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad you decided to use them, Eli!. Often we save the good things for so long that sometimes they become unusable. We also tend to buy the best stuff to gift and scrimp on ourselves. Well, I've stopped doing that since the past few years. Hummus is yummus! Do share the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha- yes, hummus is yummus:-) Thanks dear Vidya:-)

      Delete
  7. Oh Yes, your grand parents would have smiled and approved of it, for we should not wait for special days, every day of our life is a special occasion. Do share the recipe of Hummus. Looks great. Just a fortnight ago, I was eating it daily in Kuwait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true Shilpa, every day is a special occasion:-) Thanks dear

      Delete
  8. The plate looks lovely and glad that you used them. Even more for lighting the candle. That makes this so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much:-) Big hugs your way:-)

      Delete
  9. Beautiful plates. Glad you decided to take them out on an ordinary day and make it special. If you stop to think about it, life is nothing but these little "celebrations" along the way, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it sure is- thank you for your kind words:-)

      Delete
  10. Memories. That looks yum Eli. :) Please share the recipe and may be I can cook :P

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dearest Eli,
    Oh how I LOVE such stories. That is the secret recipe to happiness; no doubt. Your Grandparents for sure are smiling from heaven. THEIR special golden plates now being treasured, cherished and being loaded up with a delicious home cooked meal and shared with the world... WOW!
    Such is life anno 2016 and yes, we can open our borders and share happiness with each other. So many blessings to sustain us; together.
    Thanks for sharing and that recipe looks like worth while.
    Hugs and happy weekend.
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful Eli. Both the plates and your post. It's such a powerful thing how memories can take us back. A smell, a song, a plate... memories sure are a powerful thing. And you know what, I do the same... I also use "the good china" and the crystal whenever I feel like it. We do deserve beauty every day, not only a few times a year.

    Take care sweetie and thank you for a lovely post.♥

    Charlie

    ReplyDelete
  13. The golden plate is so pretty. Even I have such antique crockery sets that live in my living room. It's always pleasure and warm to eat from those plates. Loved the post. Life is indeed beautiful. :)
    ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​A R​​at's​ ​Nibble ​​

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Easter sweet Eli. I hope you'l have a lovely holiday together with near and dear ones.♥

    Charlie
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Big hugs to you sweet Eli. I hope all is well with you? Miss your beautiful posts and hope you'll be back soon.

    Take care!♥

    Charlie
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hope your spring time is an enjoyable one.
    Sending you hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm sending you big hugs sweet Eli and hope all is well with you?

    Take care my dear friend.

    Charlie
    x

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Thank you for taking your time to leave one.